[gpodder-devel] gpodder hook script repository

  • From: brot at gmx.info (Bernd Schlapsi)
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 10:56:45 +0100

On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 21:50 +0100, Thomas Perl wrote:
> Hi Bernd!
>
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 08:31:18PM +0100, Bernd wrote:
> > I created a github repository which includes two hook scripts for
> > gPodder.
> > https://github.com/brot/gpodder-hook-scripts
> >
> > I will add more scripts if I need more for my own purpose. Feel free to
> > use my scripts and/or fork the github directory.
> > It would also be nice if you could send me your pull requests with your
> > scripts so we could build a repository with user generated hook scripts.
> >
> > Which hook scripts do you use at the moment?
>
> Sounds great. You might want to add the example hook scripts from the
> gPodder folder (bittorrent.py and mp3split.py from doc/dev/examples/) to
> the repository, and we can remove these scripts from the gPodder
> repository then and add a README file that points to your repository :)
>
> It would be nice to have a good collection of scripts for gPodder in
> that repository - this way, we can make gPodder more modular and
> "outsource" feature requests to hook scripts, as I'm planning on
> removing some of the features in the current version to clean up the
> code.
>

> Thanks,
> Thomas

I merged the pull request from marvil07 (he added the example scripts
from doc/dev/examples) today and the repository includes 4 scripts at
the moment.

Which features do you plan to remove from gPodder core? Do you already
have a list of this features so we could help to write the hook scripts.

If we move features to the hook scripts we should think about a way to
make it easy for users to activate this scripts in gPodder.
Something like "Preferences -> Plugins" could be possible?!

The problem I see at the moment is that some of the hook scripts need
some configuration (e.g: bittorrent script). Is it possible to create a
configuration file for each script and gPodder parses this configuration
files and show all the necessary options within the GUI and writes it
back to the configure file.
This files for each hook script could also store the enable/disable
state which should also be shown in the GUI.

Or should this hook system be a way for power users to configure gPodder
for the own needs?

Bernd