[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - ramped events

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:49:05 +0100

On Monday 12 January 2004 13.23, Tim Hockin wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 12:26:30PM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > > The issue is that a sender of events needs to know whether the
> > > receiver can properly handle ramps.
> >
> > I think that depends on the implementation. Both <start, delta>
> > and <target, duration> events, in conjunction with the "drive
> > inputs as long as you're connected" rule, will set the target
> > value at the end of the ramp, if the receiver just ignores the
> > ramping ang grabs the start or target value.
>
> You're missing the point - ramps are a shortcut.  If a receiver is
> going to disregard the ramp (and use it as a point value instead)
> then the sender may choose to not send a ramp at all, and instead
> use the more expensive but more accurate series of point values.
> Without that info, the sender might send a ramp to an unramped
> control, which would be worse than having no ramps at all.

What says it's the *sender* that should decide what to do?

First of all, trying to ramp a non-ramped control is doing something
the author of the receiving plugin did not intend. The result could
be totally useless. It may be a total waste of time trying to send
more than a few changes per second, or you could actually get good
results by sending 1000+ events/second.

I think it's a host thing. Senders should just do their thing, and the
host should insert suitable converters when needed. If there are to
be options for output controls (such as ramping on/off), they should
be optional.

BTW, some kind of bandwidth hint for controls could be useful, for
ramped/non-ramped converters, as well as other things. That's one
thing control outputs might want to know about, if they want to be
smart, instead of just doing what the user tells them to.