[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - gesture start/end

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:24:14 +0000

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 10:14:55 -0700, Mike Berry wrote:
>       I don't think it makes it more complicated - I actually think it can
> make it less complicated. Lets say that you want to write a host which
> is nothing but a graph and some audio IO. Then you want to string
> together several instances of sequencer plugins inside this graph. Since
> you don't handle automation, you simply pass the gesture data down to
> all of your plugins. Each sequencer plugin, because it does handle
> automation, then interprets the gesture data and does not send it down
> to its plugins.
>       So I'm not saying that every host will always pass gesture data to
>       its plugins. In fact, in lots of cases hosts will never pass gesture
> data
> down. But there are legitimate cases where we will want to pass gesture
> data, so GMPI should be capable of doing so.

But that means that all plugins have to be able to interpret touch
automation data (or indicate that they cant) - and I still dont see why -
except to allow some hosts to be simpler, but I think thats not a good
reason.

Are there any advantages to plugins handling touch automation data other
than host simplicity?