[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - gesture start/end

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 16:27:55 +0000

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 09:45:28 -0500, Michael Gogins wrote:
> Some plugins will process gestures or generate gestures. It will be much
> better if plugins CAN know everything the host DOES know about running the
> plugin or reading the scores and sequences.

Thats a very sweeping, and to my mind not very accurate statement. I think
APIs that are just sufficient have a better history than those that
attempt to be all-encompasing.

> GMPI shall provide to plugins all information present in scores and
> sequences. This presupposes some agreement as to score and sequence
> representation (extended MIDI, NIFF, Music XML, just a list of possible data
> elements, etc.).
>
> GMPI shall provide to plugins all data used by hosts to control plugins.
>
> GMPI shall link gestural data to the note or note to which the gesture
> controls by note ID.

A lot of this stuff will be host-specific, and just irrelevent. Its likly
to lead to the "plugin A works in host X, but not host Y" syndrome.