[gmpi] Re: Decision time: 8.2

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:35:09 -0400

>> Yes, however the music data does reach the plugin, it is still up to the
>> plugin if it is going to interpret that data as parameter changes, and
>> devise a way to interpret gestures composed of sets of those parameter
>> changes (in the example that I was giving).
>
>Yes, but as its not opaque MIDI data going directly to the plugin there is
>no need for the plugin to keep other things updated on the state of its
>paraemters as all the changes are happening in the open.

steve: i'm not so sure about this. some plugins might want to use
nonlinear mappings of GMPI music data onto parameter values. they
might want to do wierd mappings of multiple controllers in
tandem. various kinds of things that the host can't know about. etc.

>The musical data is still GMPI data or whatever sort, so the host can
>follow it and use it to build undo/autoamtion data.

true, though its perhaps a little less efficient than storing actual
parameter values rather than GMPI data that will need to re-delivered
to the plugin during automation playback.

--p