[gmpi] Re: Decision time: 8.1

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:06:48 -0400

>The only thing I'm wondering about is whether this line:
>> the values of which can cause variation in the plugin's output
>is sufficient.
>I mean: say you want to have a 'variable' in your plugin that determines the
>behavior of two other 'variables' (such as: "when variable 1 is 'true',
>changing variables 2 will also change variable 3 and vice versa ("locked
>variables")')
>Would variable 1 be considered a parameter? It doesn't change the output of
>the plugin...

variables != parameters

parameters are an abstraction, variables are internal to the
plugin. as michael noted in his much more concise proposal, a
parameter always represents "a single user action". it may affect a
hundred variables, or one (possibly even none in some odd situations),
but the variables are internal the plugin - only the parameters are
visible to the host and the user.

--p