[gmpi] Re: Decision time: 8.1

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:20:45 +0100

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 11:12:29 -0600, Mike Berry wrote:
>       I see parameters as a special class of inputs to a plugin. I realize
> that this is really a semantic distinction, but I think that this
> distinction will make it easier to understand the system, because it is
> familiar. So I see a side-chain input to a compressor as a port, while
> the compression ratio is a parameter. This doesn't mean that their
> operation is necessarily different. However, their presentation in the
> host is definitely different, at least for DAW-type hosts. Parameters
> are linked to automation. Ports are not.

That is a quite a clear distinction though, the sindechain is going to be
audio rate and the ratio input could be anything up to audio rate.

The gain reduction output case is more complex as it does not need to be
audio rate.

I think there are some cases where you expliticly want parameters to be
available as outputs, in the same form they are as inputs, to drive other
plugins in the graph.

Also for the current favourite serialisation method (if I'm remembering it
correctly) its neccesary for plugins to output some parameters when they
are closed.