[geocentrism] need help

  • From: "Knarr" <knarrrj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 20:59:40 -0500

  Alan.
    I'm not well versed in mathematics, but may I ask you a question. When we
look at the moon in the night sky it is apparent that the moon does not
orbit(?) the earth as fast as the earth rotates. I understand that if the moon
orbited the earth at the same speed as the earth rotates the moon would appear
to stand still in the sky, and that if it moved faster it would move to the
east in the night sky The arc of travel for the moon is, thus, slower than the
arc of travel for the rotation of the earth.. Thus, although you enlightened
Neville, me, being a layman in these matters, still doesn't understand why if
the moon's orbiting the earth slower than the earth rotates, how the moon's
shadow shouldn't travel from east to west in a HC situation eclipse.
     I have found that most people who have a good grasp of a problem can put
their explanations in fairly simple terms and was hoping you could/would do
this for me.
     Thank you for any time you may take in this matter, Ronald Knarr