[geocentrism] Re: mathmatical illogic

  • From: geocentric@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:15:12 +0100

Philip wrote:
> Mike said repeatedly you cant divide by Zero, and in his usual way tried to
> debunk my illogic. Yes Mike I do have my 6 or 7 pints every evening. But I
> wrote this in the morning.

Hung over?

> You see I remembered that big episode in my life all these 58 years ago ,
> only the other morning. So after your report I wonderd if I was dreaming.
> Perhaps it was a spoof.

Your main point was that a/b=a seemed logical to you when you were 7.
Do you still think that 58 years later?

> Well after a google with phrase 1/0 and key word infinity, the first of
> 3,8080 returns I got this, leaving out the graph.

> What's 1/0? Infinity, right? We said above that we can't divide by zero.
> But, can't we divide by zero, if we're careful? Let's look at 1/0, more
> closely. In Calculus,

Lets leave the calculus until we can agree on what 20/4 is.

> So, an apparently simple situation like 1/0 blows up in our faces. That's
> another good reason for not allowing division by zero.
>
> [Yeah use it to win a argument in relativity against mugs like me, but not
> allowed in simple arithmetic for us mugs eh? Me torkin] Copyright 1997, Jim
> Loy

Lets leave the relativity until we can agree on what 20/4 is.

> second site on the page.
> The following problem was submitted by Dresken.
> ----
> We are taught that 1/0=infinity(i wish i could use the lazy eight) and that
> 1/infinity=0..... but no one seems to want to agree with me that
> infinity*0=1. is there anything wrong with this conclusion?

You can find plently of nonsense on the Internet if you look for it.
The trick is to be able to distinguish between logical argument and
nonsense.  I've read a few websites that claim all sorts of things about
dividing by zero.  They're all riddled with inconsistencies.

Regards,
Mike.