[geocentrism] Re: Science and modernism

  • From: geocentric@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 11:32:41 +0100

I saw a very interesting program on BBC4 last night about the constantly
impending doom we seem to be obsessed with - the new ice age, global
warming, asteroids, the millenium bug etc.  I agree that a lot of rather
tenuous ideas have been grossly misrepresented by the media and by some
not so scientifically impartial scientists.

Apart from the obvious problem of "panic - doom is nigh" headline
selling better than "same old same old", there is a problem for even the
hype immune among us.  We can't all be experts in everything and we do
have to decide which experts we believe are credible when and where they
disagree.

But I don't think any of the above applies to the geocentric argument.
All of the physics involved in every discussion here is old,
conventional, and apolitical.  Einstein's theory of relativity has been
confirmed (not to be false as far as we can measure) many many times
over in many different ways.  It is not supported purely by an
interpretation of the Michaelson Morley experiment.  Many scientists
(especially when it was new) have tried to show it is false or
contradictory -- without success.

Regards,
Mike.