[geocentrism] Lack of support from fellow Bible-believers

  • From: Amnon <yerushabel3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 03:45:06 +0200

What Robert writes is very true.
When I wrote in 1990 to Dr David Rosevear
http://www.christiananswers.net/creation/people/rosevear-d.html
president of the CSM, suggesting that they write something on the
subject, he replied that "we have no intention of  publicising
Geocentrism as it would result in our losing credibility with both
academia and the general public"! (quoted in note 28 of Walter van der
Kamp's book "The Cosmos, Einstein and Truth" 1993).

I also wrote to Malcolm Bowden. This reawakened his moribund interest in
the subject, and he wrote an excellent chapter on the subject
"Geocentrism - A Heresy?" ("True Science Agrees with the Bible" 1998).

My own article on the subject, printed in the Jewish Tribune (appears on
Dr Jones' site under "The Earth...cannot be moved"), instead of
receiving support from Orthodox Jews that I had expected, instead drew a
storm of letters to the editor with terms like "fog of nonsense", "red
herrings", "drivel", "pseudo-scientific fanaticism", "starry-eyed
fundamentalism",  "narrow minded", "nonsense", "attempting to drag
Judaism on to the path of the Spanish Inquisition" and even "profaning
the Name of Heaven"!

Robert Bennett <robert.bennett@xxxxxxx> wrote: Gary,

 > Just why don't creationists think the Bible is geostatic--this is a big
 > problem.

I can give you a good reason, from personal experience.

Creationists are already pariahs in their scientific AND RELIGIOUS
communities, for challenging the scientific dogma of cosmic or biotic
evolution. To adopt Geostatism as an additional crusade would, they think,
put them in company with the Flat Earth society. So, 'to maintain peer
credibility', they eschew the GS view, presumably until they can convert all
the Darwinistas.