[GeoSTL] Re: question about website

  • From: Paul Konopacki <konopapw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 01:53:55 -0500

***************************************
Louis site duplicate information about area
caches?", the short answer is "Mostly, not."
Now, the long answer:
All the caches we reference on www.GeoStL.com
are those created on www.geocaching.com.  We
just make reference to those caches.
I can say that at this particular time,  you won't
find caches mentioned on our site that are NOT
already on www.geocaching.com.  But that may
change as our geocaching Association grows and
matures.

What we provide on our site is more specific
information about those caches, such as what you
will find in the 'Featured Cache' section.  We also
provide an Archived Caches page, which references
only 'local' caches.  www.geocaching.com doesn't
have a good way to find or organize archived caches.

***************************************
in O'Fallon, MO - does the St. Louis website
include out of county areas?"
The boundaries of our 'territory' are rather vague,
so we aren't at a point where we have defined what
caches we care about and which ones we don't.
Conceptionally, our area of interest is not limited
by county boundaries or city limits. I consider
O'Fallon in-bounds!  Rolla is probably on the fringe.

Kansas City has their own geocaching group, so we
let them do their own thing.  We have active
geocachers in our group who are  on the other
side of the Mississippi River, so we include a
portion of Illinois, too.  There is a central-Illinois
group.  These groups are all pretty informal
and are made up of great people who love
adventure and gadgets.  Survey results on
our site indicate that most people would like
to keep our group informal.

***************************************
And lastly, about your question of "I read that
we're supposed to leave an item of greater
value than the one we took."
It's a nice philosphy, but not always practical
or realistic. Over time, in many caces, what's
left in a cache is very junky; expired coupons,
used ticket stubs, professional business cards,
broken toys. This is why the owner of a cache
should occassionally visit it and put some good
stuff back in.

The sport runs off the honor system, so some
people take and don't give back.  Plus, we all have
different ideas of what is valuable.

When you have small tupperware containers,
there are not a lot of quality items you can put in
them.  Larger tupperware or ammo boxes allow
bigger and nicer items.

You'll find some caches that don't recommend
placing trinkets in them, at all.  Many geocachers
end up only signing the logbook and not even
trading trinkets.

Whatever you do, don't put food in a cache
(including gum, mints or dog biscuits).  Animals
will tend to destroy the cache if they smell
food in it.  Plus, it is unsanitary.

Don't leave expired coupons, or anything you
might consider junk (I consider McDonald's
toys junk, but others might not).

I usually don't take anything, but leave a
signature item.  I have a supply of 1943
Steel Wheat cents that I've been placing
in caches I think are 'worthy'.  That's my
way of improving the quality of a cache.