[GeoStL] Summer News - Pt. 2

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:50:29 -0500

SLAGA Summer News - Pt. 2

What is SLAGA Territory?
You will hear the term 'SLAGA Territory' used by geocachers and referenced
on the SLAGA web site
(http://r47.vresp.com/?St.LouisAreaGeocache/9cf1d9e77f/352975/TEST/TEST). In
order to best serve the needs and interests of  geocachers in the
St. Louis area, it was important to determine a physical boundary where we
could focus our attention.  As a result, we report on caches and
geocaching-related activities within an arbitrary mileage radius around
the city of St. Louis.  This does not mean that we exclude other
geocachers in other groups from placing caches in the area, nor do we
discourage people who are not in our membership database from attending
any of our organized events.  That is not within the spirit of the hobby.
In fact, it is a pleasure to have geocachers from other parts of the
country attend our annual picnics, or ask us to recommend caches as they
travel through town.  You can find a more information about SLAGA
Territory at
http://r41.vresp.com/?St.LouisAreaGeocache/e79b7a7db2/352975/TEST/TEST

SLAGA Membership Statistics  (as of June 17, 2005)

 There are 322 SLAGA members.
114 of those are also signed up for the SLAGA newsgroup.
http://r44.vresp.com/?St.LouisAreaGeocache/8c2344e4b7/352975/TEST/TEST
The three most prolific caches hunters are: BruceS (4911 finds), K-TEAM
(2496 finds) and Mean Gene (2257 finds).
 The three most prolific cache hiders are: Myotis (103 hides), RGS (59
hides) and FullQuiver (47 hides).
The three most prolific benchmark hunters are: happycycler (826 finds),
rogbarn (163 finds) and bluebeadman (40 finds).

 Featured Active Caches
It is impossible to pick a 'best' cache with so much diversity and equally
good quality caches in the area.  So here are a few selected for their
uniqueness or popularity:

1)      "Just another ammo box in the woods", by RGS and Didg Guy.  Rated:
4/2.   Placed with permission of the Crestwood Parks Department.  This is a
multi-cache that was recently placed in a St. Louis County park.  It takes
you to various locations within the park, and treats you with a uniquely
decorated ammo box as the final cache.
http://r49.vresp.com/?St.LouisAreaGeocache/f6ae9b3f08/352975/TEST/TEST
2)      "What If", by Tim, Pam & Molly.  Rated: 2/3.5.  Placed with
permission of the Missouri DNR in Meramec State Park.  This started out as
a MOGA 2005 event cache, then turned into a permanent cache.  The location
of the cache provides a great view of the valley that has a rich history.
http://r50.vresp.com/?St.LouisAreaGeocache/03985b6c6f/352975/TEST/TEST
3)      "St. Louis Arch Virtual Cache", by bjbest and Big Jimmy.  Rated:
3/1. This cache has been around for over 4 years!  Virtual caches aren't
approved on geocaching.com much anymore.  This cache is a legacy.  Finding
the information you need to locate the final waypoint will take you through
the underground history museum below the arch.  A popular 'tourist' cache.
http://r48.vresp.com/?St.LouisAreaGeocache/f0ee9160fe/352975/TEST/TEST

PROGRESS IN SAINT PETERS
Some of you may be aware of the unfriendly stance taken by the Parks
department of Saint Peters last fall.  Since then there has been some
definite progress in making the city geo-friendly.  The official policy
remains; no new geocaches to be placed in the parks.  However, the city
has introduced their own geocaching program.  This new program is under
the control of the Ranger Division.  In Saint Peters, the Rangers sponsor
many recreational programs, especially programs for kids.
Rocksusan is working with one of the Rangers, Mike Wilkinson, to set up
these geocaches.  So far there are four multicaches, with one more coming
soon.  Mike has been very helpful and seems to understand that geocaching
is a great family activity.  Several other city employees have been
involved and some of them have been quite enthusiastic about geocaching.
One city facility has donated some very interesting items for one of the
final caches.  You'll have to find the cache to find out what they are!

Radio Communicating in the Field
With the easy availability of powerful and cheap FRS (family radio
service) and GMRS (general mobile radio service) radios, families and
friends who geocache together can remain in touch if separated by a short
distance.  These 2-way radios (commonly categorized with 'walkie-talkies')
are great for communicating between cars when caravaning.  Out in the
woods, if your party gets separated, radio communication can bring you
back together.  If you happen to have members of your caching party who
want to stay in the car's air conditioning while you hunt the cache in a
hot, mosquito-infested woods, these radios will let you tell them the neat
place the cache is hidden and the great views you had during the hunt.
Even though the newest GMRS radios advertise a 14-mile range, this is
mainly marketing hype.  Your personal experience may actually result in
only a range of 3-5 miles.  The effective range depends on the terrain
(works best over water and line-of-sight; worst through buildings, trees
and hills) and the quality of the radio's antenna.  These inexpensive
radios are called 'bubble-pack' by the amateur radio groups because of the
way they are packaged for the masses and because of their no-removeable
antenna.  You can pay much more for a better radio with a better and
detachable antenna.
If you buy a GMRS-capable radio and plan to talk on channels 15 - 22 , the
FCC requires you purchase an $80 license - good for 5-years.  See more
licensing details at
http://r6.vresp.com/?St.LouisAreaGeocache/aa649a0dae/352975/TEST/TEST.
SLAGA has chosen channel 2 / sub-channel 33 as their standard setting when
communicating with other members in the field.  This is a combination
FRS/GMRS channel that does not require an FCC license to use for
non-business communication.  However, the maximum range for this channel
is limited to just a couple of miles.

What is a webcam cache?
There aren't many around the St. Louis area.  In fact, there are only two
within SLAGA Territory.  According to the owner of one of them, his is
going to be archived soon!
 Webcam caches use existing web cameras placed by individuals or agencies
that monitor various areas like parks or road conditions. The idea is to
get yourself in front of the camera to log your visit. The challenging
part, however, is that you need to call a friend to look up the web site
that displays the camera shot. You will need to have them save the picture
to log the cache. If you're a tech-head you could use your wireless modem
and save the image yourself on your laptop.
 The newest one is called "New Town Webcam Cache"
(http://r1.vresp.com/?St.LouisAreaGeocache/24af78b9e7/352975/TEST/TEST) and is
located in St. Charles, Missouri.  The older one is called 'Who
Wears Quad Pants'
(http://r40.vresp.com/?St.LouisAreaGeocache/36ae5939b1/352975/TEST/TEST).  Get
to this one now, before it is archived.

Heard in Passing
We take this opportunity to resurrect an old favorite feature that was
once on the SLAGA web site.  We present short parts of lotg that people
have posted on geocaching.com for caches in SLAGA territory.  Then we give
you an easy way find out which cache they are from.
 1)
"Lets just say I'm surprised Barry and I aren't still out there looking
for an easy way to avoid a short bushwack!"
"Once we stopped following Tim's blind Magellan I found WP1 pretty
quickly."
"Where did all the mud and water come from?"
Waypoint: GCGYK
http://r49.vresp.com/?St.LouisAreaGeocache/5a40bb3786/352975/TEST/TEST
2)
Father had to explain to her softball coach why she was late for practice.
All I can say is Waypoint #2 was pure genius.
My advice to those who come after - don't assume anything.
Waypoint: GCK8HX
http://r46.vresp.com/?St.LouisAreaGeocache/cb04c20c3b/352975/TEST/TEST

Tiger Day

Tiger Day 2005 was held at Camp Grizzly Cub World at Beaumont Scout
Reservation on June 4, 2005.  This is an annual event for Tiger Scouts
(first graders) to experience some of the fun offered by the Boy Scouts of
America.

At a booth manned by SLAGA volunteers, the boys and their families were
given informational brochures and a quick overview of geocaching and GPS
operation.  Then the boys were given a loaner GPS, and accompanied by the
SLAGA folk they hunted two ammo boxes hidden close by that were stocked
with goodies.  The estimated one hundred boys and their families were
enthusiastic and came away with a positive view of geocaching.

The volunteers for this event were showme69, Pika Wants Cake, flatkatz,
RGS, and Didg Guy.

Contributors:
Brawny Bear
Konopapw
Didg Guy
RockSusan
Thanks to all those who have contributed to the newsletter. If you would
like to contribute, please contact griff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

following link:
http://unsub.vresp.com/u.html?f3b08a2b0e/TEST

Mike