[GeoStL] Re: Texas trip over and...

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:10:40 -0500

-
The "Best of" list sounds good. It would be an incentive to do a better job of placing a cache. But as everyone knows, you can slice and dice data many ways. The visitor issue has many facets. I really like the idea of having a list that they can go to for their needs, but their needs are going to vary from a "Best of" list. For example, the caches that require a lengthy trek in the woods that are really well done would make the list, but they are not likely to be very good for a short term visitor. Also, visitors will tend to be geographically localized in many cases. Like Clayton, etc., and will want to know caches within maybe 5 miles even if they are not the best.

I know it would be difficult to come up with every possible combination, but I think for a visitor related list, we would need to help them a bit if we could put the "Best of" on a map of the area with emphasis on areas most visitors will be located.

Here is another idea that I think might be cool. I am a ham radio guy (KB0AW), although I have not been on the air in awhile, but we like talking to folks and making new acquaintances. Well, one of the recognized things done here is the "call a friend" option. That isn't usually available for a visitor. So why not have a visitor section in the "Best of" with a volunteer for each cache. Maybe just an email address for a contact, then they can give their phone number if they want so we don't have phone numbers published on the web site. That way the visitor can contact the person for the cache, or an area, like Clayton, and they can exercise the "call a friend" option if they need to, and two strangers with a common interest might have a nice conversation.

Jeff the Blue Bead Man wrote:

-
All I can say is WHEW!  Texas is hot right now--the Spurs are winning (well, usually) and
the temperature is hitting 100+.  It was hot!  They have several unique, i.e. creative,
caches, but St. Louis has them beat for quality.  I don't believe I have ever found (nor
would I want to!) a Firestone parking lot cache, or a cache at the little green
landscaping "park" next to the grocery store parking lot.  San Antonio had MORE
of those type caches than I care to find.  One was called Howard Butts Park cache.  Turns
out that Howard Butts is Howard E. Butts and he owns or started the HEB grocery stores.
Very funny...the first time...but do you need TONS of them?  NO...

The best thing about San Antonio caching was how easy it was to separate the junk (Howard Butts Park,
Grocer's Re-leaf, etc) from the truly outstanding caches (I'm not quite paperless, 13 Days in 30 Minutes,
Sauerkraut Bend).  It was extremely easy to do because they have created and maintain a "Best of"
list.  They nominate caches for the lists in separate different types of categories and then they vote on the
best each year.  I worked off of the "Best Of...2004" list, and I found some nifty caches.  Here is
a link to that list: http://home.netcom.com/~msbhavin/saga/index.html .  I think we need something like this
for St. Louis.  It could be part of the SLAGA website.  One of the categories should be "Caches which a
visiting cacher MUST hit before leaving town..." type category.  WHat do you think?  Ideas?  Suggestions?

-Jeff, the Blue Bead Man