[GeoStL] Re: New free garmin maps mostly Weldon Springs area and ST Joe ST Park

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 13:34:42 -0500

The maps gets lots of exposure on www.gpsfiledepot.com and there is a notice
on that website when maps are added or updated.  I was never able to figure
out how to get my map page to read the file date off of gpsfiledepot.  My
Trails has been downloaded from there (my website links to that site to
download the files) over 1,200 times (but that number is deceiving as when
you download a new version it is counted as a download).

I would like to get more exposure for the maps so more people will
contribute to them.  There are several people in the SLAGA area that now
contribute tracks, but I get next to nothing anywhere else.  The more people
contribute to the maps, the better they will be.  So more exposure will
hopefully mean more people contributing.  So I am always trying to get
people to put a link to my map page.  It would be nice to have a link on
SLAGA's site!

Glenn, how about just putting a link to my site on www.mocache.net

On FTFs, here is a true story.  I went on a SLAGA hunt on the Al Foster
Trail.  We were heading to a cache and when I walked by this tree I just
pointed to it and blurted out there is a cache in the there.  Multiple
people heard me.  When we were coming back we were told there was a cache
along the way that had not been published yet.  It was right where I pointed
and said there is a cache.   So I grabbed the cache and was the first.  That
was pretty neat and I wanted to be able to log how I found it FTF.  But the
hider contacted me and indicated people were complaining it was not fair to
let me get FTF like that since everyone did not have an equal opportunity to
find it.  So I consented to him not publishing the cache which I would have
been FTF.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"