[GeoStL] Re: NGR-Grant Trail talk

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 20:12:46 -0500

-
Most rails to trails run into this kind of opposition.  Some places it is
much worse than others.  Some people are thrilled to have a trail that close
to them.  I would love it.

However, there is one issue we should be paying close attention to.  Many
people complain about people trespassing on their property that access it
from one of these trails.  When we place a cache on one of these trails, we
need to remember, the issue with trespassing is not simply where the cache
is placed, but where people will look.  So a cache on public property can
cause problems.  If the cache is on a narrow section of the trail next to
private property, the cache page should make sure this clear and let people
know where the boundary is so they do not search on the private property.
In a case like this, I also think the cache should be very easy to find to
cut down on the potential for trespassing from those who do not read the
cache page.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"