[GeoStL] Re: NGR: Is it really getting warmer?

  • From: "Susan Ring" <susanmring@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:26:39 -0500

-
Thanks Mike, Keith and Jim for starting and joining in this discussion.

I actually do agree that we don't know what is causing global warming.  But
it is real.  From everything I read, and I do read a lot about this, the
data supports the statement that the earth is getting warmer.  I'm not sure
that it's even important right now to know the cause.  What is very
important is that we start thinking about how we are going to deal with the
EFFECTS.

Is every hurricane season for the next 30 years (the common length of an
active tropical period) going to be like 2005?  Then we better start
figuring out how we are going to deal with 3 to 5 major hurricanes making
landfall every year in the US.  Will the breadbasket turn into the dust
bowl? Where will we grow crops?   Will Europe lose the moderating effect of
warmer oceans off its shores?  What if the sea level rises 10  feet over the
next 50 years?  No region on earth is immune to the now unpredictable shifts
in weather patterns that may occur.

The more time people spend arguing about the causes, the less time we have
to figure out how to survive the EFFECTS.  I was a little encouraged (and
yet scared) to read an article that said that the Pentagon now considers
global warming at the top of problems facing the US and apparently has
assigned a special task force to study it and make plans.

Thanks for reading my humble 2 cents,
Susan

A frivolous PS:  Does anyone else feel old when you remember that
typewriters used to have a key for the "cents" symbol?  Have I mentioned
that before?  Maybe I AM old.