[GeoStL] Re: Is it me, or is there bad days?

  • From: Brent & Amanda Deen <bajaclan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:05:55 -0500

-
So-called expert or newbie, we all have bad days.  You can blame it on
poor GPS reception, environmental elements, mental attitude/aptitude on
a given day or just plain bad luck.  We've all been there.

I often stay too focused on the GPS waiting for it to zero out rather
than opening my eyes and using common sense.  I have become so focused
on what I am sure is the hiding spot, that I fail to consider other
options.  I have searched for caches only to go home and find they were
removed for maintenance that very AM.  Sometimes you can stick it out
and power your way to a solution.  Most of the time though, I find it
best to walk away and come back with a renewed perspective.  I have
DNF's more than my fair share of relatively easy caches since moving to
NoVA.  Is it because I am not thinking like the local hiders?  Is it
frustration at the traffic and muggles?  Is it that I don't have Myotis
to find it and hand it to me?  ;)

I would strongly encourage group hunts and events.  It's a great way to
learn the tricks of the trade from others and see their various methods
of hunting.  And if you keep your ears open, they will often talk about
other hides/finds, so take mental notes!  Others will also teach you
lots of things your GPS can do that you may not have discovered yet,
like projecting WPs.

Strider is right on the money with his description of Mighty Miss.  I
think that cache also has a tendency to 'float' a bit, that is, move
slightly from one hidey hole to another in the same general vicinity.
Try again and, odds are, you will walk right up to it and wonder how
you could have missed it in the first place.

As the saying goes somedays you get the bear and some days the Brawny
Bear....

Amanda
BAJA Clan

On Mar 20, 2005, at 10:35, Joe Taylor wrote:

> -
>
> OK I thnk I mainly need to vent some smoke, after a day of 40% find
> accuracy (2out of 5 caches).  Even one I had been to before, I could
> not find again - GCGJGJ - Mighty Miss.  It leaves me wondering if I am
> not a good seeker, or do others Have days like that too.
>
> Do advnced, or expert cachers, like RGS, or STRIDER have days like
> that too?  Just wondering if I am not alone here.  Also tried the
> caches in the Emmenegger Park in Kirkwood, thats when I either started
> thinking something wrong with me or my GPS.
>
> Just wondering here, mostly wanted to vent some geocaching steam.
>
> Rockey_f_Squirrell
>
> Joe Taylor

> in the Subject field

Subject field