[GeoStL] Re: An idea for a cache

  • From: KURT ANDREWS <kurt.w.andrews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 21:35:01 -0700 (PDT)

Know Future Wrote

I can probably help you develop a puzzle cache, as I have several in my
portfolio. What do you have in mind?

Well.  I'm so new at this, I'm not sure.  I guess my first question is where do
you start?  Most of my thoughts so far have been pretty general.  Here are some
of the things I've been thinking about:

I want to base the series of cashes around the passport which is broken down
into "categories", one for each of the six regions of the state, and 2 bonus
categories, overlooks and historic buildings.  Since I live in St. Louis, I was
thinking of a series of caches that would lead your to each of the 18 sites in
that region, or maybe doing the sites in the overlook or historic site
categories.  I could let the passport be the theme tying everything together,
but I think it would be more interesting if we could connect the caches with a
story line or historical connection or something else we could build around.

Some important considerations:

Most of these sites are not going to be appropriate for a physical cache, but I
want to talk to MDNR to see if micros might be acceptable because I'm not sure
how a puzzle cache would work without some physical clues.  In any case without
the trinkets from a physical cache the reward is in the location and the fun of
solving a challenging puzzle.

We should probably include a few physical caches in some of the state parks
where they are allowed so that folks can experience a real cache that helps
them complete the puzzle.

Two of the bigger goals I have in mind is to promote the MDNR passport program,
and increase awareness and interest in geocaching.  I think these goals
probably call for something for geocachers of all levels and the presence of
muggle won't have a negative impact on the experience.

Help from other cachers will be needed to set up and maintain the caches.

What input would the MDNR have,  limitations. suggestions, concerns, etc.?

Regards,

Kurt for TM7AS