[geekcrypt] Re: Back door competition

  • From: Frank Rehberger <frehberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geekcrypt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 00:22:19 +0200

Hi Bill,

I agree, that we need a review-process by the team before any code is
merged into the main-line.

I don't have experience with this kind of back door competition. Do you
know any other project performing a kind of back door competition and
could we re-use their process or tools?

Kind regards,
frehberg

On 06.06.2014 06:36, Bill Cox wrote:
> I really am paranoid.  As another poster said, "My paranoia goes to 11."  We
> may already have an
NSA plant on this list.  How can we succeed while working with an NSA
plant?  If he's good, he may create really difficult to detect back
doors, and even if we find them, they will look like an innocent
mistakes.  Is there any defense?  The only way I can think of is
diligent code review.  How can we tell if we're doing a good job?

> I think it might be a lot of fun to see which of us can succeed in
inserting a back door without the others noticing.  Every week each
developer (core developer?) would publish a warrant canary containing an
encrypted code snippet, as well as the key to the prior week's code
snippet.  The code snippets would either say "No back doors were
inserted this week", or show exactly where the back door is with an
explanation.

> Any time one of us finds a back door, we should raise the alarm.  The
person responsible for the back door should then reveal the decryption
key, proving to us that he had planned to reveal it next week anyway.

> Whenever one of us gets away with an undetected back door, the next
week everyone would know about it (and obviously remove it).  We could
call that "wining", and having our back door detected "losing", and even
keep tallies of wins and losses.