[geekcrypt] Re: Back door competition

  • From: Pid Zero <p1dz3r0@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "geekcrypt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <geekcrypt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 07:46:03 +0100

I'm a little dubious about actively trying to weaken the code for fun. What
if we forget a backdoor? I'm just as concerned about initial TLA
involvement, but other than have every other dev check each other's work or
write the same code in parallel I can't see how you'd get around it.
Decentralising so that as few devs as possible have access to accept
commits and sign the binaries (I.e. Segregation of duties & least
privilege) are good practices to adopt to mitigate any mole impact.

In either event rebuilding trust is going to be difficult within the
established community without the potential for the scandal that would
arise if one of us were found to have knowingly inserted a backdoor which
we forgot about and was later exploited by a TLA like the NSA!