News from the Principal

  • From: reker_d@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ganews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 17:17:42 -0500

This message was generated by the GA News mailing list, for members of Guardian
Angels School and Parish.

Dear G.A. Parents:

It is Friday afternoon already.  It was definitely a fast week for me.
I've had quite a few meetings with present G.A. parents and prospective
parents.  I had at least three parents tell me this week that they would
not have my job for anything in the world.  (There are those days when
..!)  They talked to me about how any one person could keep students,
parents and teachers happy.  I'm not sure that is ever possible.  An
administrator can just do the best he/she can with the job.  However, being
a principal is always exciting, and you never know what each day will bring
to the job.  For example, I just had to speak to a first grader about why
he should not cut his hair in class!  Every day brings some new "crises."
Some of them are simple to deal with and others are quite difficult because
what we do with a child can greatly influence the rest of his/her life.
Many times both Pat Gallion and I say a few prayers before we have to deal
with something serious.   Both of us feel more confident when we know that
God is with us and assisting us.  The greatest aspect about being a
principal is being able to touch the lives of children in such positive
ways.  Being able to share the love of God and show children how to become
a good Catholic/ Christian is very exciting.  That is what makes all the
"crises" worth the energy

On Tuesday afternoon we had Officer Eric Pryor and Juvenile Court Judge
Sylvia Sieve Hendon speak to the children about justice.  Offier Pryor
talked to the younger grades, and Judge Hendon gave a presentation to the
students in grades 5-8 and then answered their many, many questions.  You
would have been proud of the intellectual questions they asked Judge
Hendon.  I know the children learned very much from her.  Miss Gallion told
me Officer Pryor's presentation was also great and that the students
participated well and learned much.  I'm very glad that the Golden Rule
Committee has come up with some great ideas in teaching our children some
important life lessons.
.
We spent a lot of time this week finalizing the plans for Catholic Schools
Week, which we celebrate next week.
Monday should be interesting with "Backwards Day."  The schedule,
announcements and lunch will all be turned around.  I'm not sure how the
students will look dressing backwards.  That could be interesting!  On
Tuesday we celebrate "Special Persons to Lunch" and it is always great to
see so many of the parents and grandparents.  On Wednesday Motivational
Media will give their multimedia presentation to the students.  There are
always thought-provoking for the students and teach them the importance of
values in their lives.The P.T.A. will also have a treat for the students
and provide an Appreciation Luncheon for the staff.  Miss Geanna Hansell
and the Drama Club present "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Jerico" on
Thursday.  I'm looking forward to seeing our students share their talents
with us.  Mrs. Carol Litkenhaus has been teaching the students many dances
(Hokey Pokey,
Bunny Hop, Twist, Chicken Dance, Macarena, etc.) and the whole school will
gather on the parking lot at 1:00 to dance.  Each grade will be expected to
teach the rest of the school how to do their dance.  That could be "most
interesting!"  I'm sure we'll all enjoy it.  Please feel free to join us.
On Friday we gather at 8:15 for Mass to thank God for all He has done for
G.A.  Please feel free to join us for Mass.  The remainder of the day is
Volleyball Day at G.A.  The eighth graders challenge the staff to
volleyball games, which is always a lot of fun!  Many of us "older folks"
do have pains in many areas after the Volleyball Games.

Congratulations to 7th grader Tommy Uebel and 8th grader Allison Carter for
finishing first and second in the Annual Spelling Bee.  Tommy will go into
regional competition to represent G.A.

Remember an Angel Might Say . . .

        "... never let yesterday use up today."

  "... every time you see another person --- you see another opportunity to
make someone's day brighter."

        "... happiness is enhanced by others but does not depend on others."

Have a great weekend!  Remember to thank God for G.A. during Catholic
Schools Week 2002.

God's blessings,

David A. Reker
Principal