A Message from the Principal

  • From: reker_d@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ganews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 09:42:54 -0500

This message was generated by the GA News mailing list, for members of Guardian
Angels School and Parish.

Dear G.A. Parents:

Good morning.  It is Friday morning and the day of our teacher in-service.
I hope you and your family had a very nice Halloween and that you are
enjoying your four-day weekend!

Today the teachers are working on the newly automatic report cards.
Students in grades 4-8 will get the new report cards this year, and all the
students will receive them next year.  It has been an interesting process
so far, and hopefully today all of us learn how to do the computer
generated report cards properly.  One of the most interesting aspects was
coming up with the comments section that is based on the Personal
Development Section of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati's report card.  We
wanted to come up with positive comments to thank the children for their
hard work, cooperation and leadership, and comments that would bring about
improvement from the students.

On Monday afternoon the students running for Student Council offices will
present their speeches to the students
over the TV, and on Tuesday the elections will take place.  Say an extra
prayer for all the students running for election.  It is a great experience
for the students, and our Student Council officers learn a lot about
planning activities and how to be leaders.  Winning and losing an election
are always a learning opportunity for our students.

Next Thursday, November 8, Patrick and Andrew Gleason will be Principals
for the Day.  They won this award at the GA Parish Festival.  They have
planned a number of fun activities for the students and teachers.  They
will spend the day in my office and take care of many of my activities.
They will have a donut break, a fast-food lunch, an ice cream treat.
(Note:  I do not get these luxuries every day!)  They will do announcements
over the p.a. and they will take my Cafeteria Duty for me.  They will
monitor the classrooms, but I told them they were not allowed to give any
of the teachers pay raises.  (Each year at least half the staff asked to
principals for the day for a pay raise.)
It should be a fun day.  What will I be going all day!  Pat Gallion and I
are hoping to review the first quarter report cards with the seventh and
eighth graders on this day.

The theme that the Golden Rule Committee decided for November is LOYALTY
and next Friday is Loyalty Day.
Since November 11 is Veterans Day, we thought the theme of LOYALTY would be
most appropriate.  The activities for the day are as follows:
        8:15 a.m. -- Mass
        9:15 a.m. -- Salute to America
                        Raising of the Flag and "The Pledge of Allegiance"
                        Scouts say their pledges.
                        GA Chorus sings "God Bless America" and "America the
Beautiful"
                        GA Band leads us in singing "Star Spangled Banner" and
"My Country 'Tis
of Thee"
        9:45 and 10:15- Patriotic Speeches
Hopefully the students will learn more about the importance of loyalty to
God, to self, to family, to friends, to school and to country during the
month of November.

As many of you know, second grade teacher Linda Moore had surgery this
week.  I'm glad to let you know that she is doing very well and hopefully
will be back to school next Tuesday.  Please keep her in your prayers.

An Angel Might Say ...

        " . . . it is hard to get dizzy from doing too many good turns."

" . . . nothing is more confusing than when you give good advice and then
set a bad example."

         " . . . prayer does two things:  It either frees us from the
trouble we fear or gives us the strength and the
          courage to meet the trouble when it comes.:"

Take care and have a good weekend!

God's blessings,

David A. Reker
Principal