[gameprogrammer] Re: best software

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:24:19 -0600

On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 20:46 +0700, floyd_fr wrote:
> hi,
> is opengl easier than directx ?

First off, DirectX and OpenGL are not equivalent. OpenGL is *only* a 3D
API. DirectX has everything from dealing with the keyboard to sound to
3D computer graphics all rolled up in one big lump. So, for the rest of
my reply I am going to assume you are only asking about the 3D part of
DirectX.

>From my point of view, OpenGL is a lot easier to learn and use than
DirectX. But, I know people who have exactly the opposite opinion.

> is opengl has more power than directx ?

Define "power". I, personally, can get more done in a day using OpenGL
than using DirectX. The code I write using OpenGL is portable to a large
number of different kinds of machines and to many different operating
systems. The code I write using OpenGL runs at pretty much the same
speed as DirectX code.

> if you want to make a game, which one do you choose ? opengl or directx ?

I prefer OpenGL.

But, this is all based on my experience, your experience may be very
different. I have used graphics APIs related to what became OpenGL for
close to 30 years. So, when OpenGL came along it was just a variant on
an existing theme. Just about all graphic APIs are related in some way
to OpenGL. OTOH, DirectX is pretty new and I swear it looks like they
did their absolute best to make it as different from anything that came
before as they could. The result is that I find DirectX truly alien and
difficult to work with.

Since I want to get the job done, I use what I find most natural. It is
the best for *me*. You are not me. So, you may have a completely
different experience.

                        Bob Pendleton