[gameprogrammer] Re: best software

  • From: "Kevin Fields" <drunkendruid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:05:25 -0400

I agree with Bob... OpenGL and DirectX aren't close to each other. The first
big difference is the way they were designed. OpenGL was designed to be
cross-compatible with multiple operating systems, whereas Direct3D isn't. It
is in this point that you can see how different they really are. Microsoft's
main interest was to create an API that worked solely on their Windows
operating systems, so they designed DirectX to be built off of the Component
Object Model (COM incase you didn't know ;) system. This pretty much killed
any possibility to have it work outside of a Windows OS environment.

As for learning curves, it all depends on your background (at least that's
how I see it). For me, I have a small amount of knowledge using COM, so
learning to use the DirectX interfaces in the API isn't too big of a step.
But learning OpenGL was very simple. When I started out, getting a basic
window with the ability to switch between windowed and fullscreen mode on
the fly was the big test for me to compare the APIs. It was much simpler to
get OpenGL to work than it was to get DirectX to work.

Keep in mind, however, that once you've learned one, learning the other is
going to be a LOT easier. If you're asking which one you should learn first?
It depends on whether you're familiar and comfortable with how COM is
structured and works. If not, then I'd recommend OpenGL, because wrapping
your head around COM is a task in itself. That's what stopped me from
learning DirectX first; I couldn't get my head around how information was
being passed around between the interfaces.

Kevin