[gameprogrammer] Re: My game is in open beta

  • From: Matthew Weigel <unique@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 22:56:51 -0500

Jake Briggs wrote:
> I can't believe I am gonna say this, but, why no linux client?
>
> Honest question, does cross platform development just put enough extra
> strain on resource's as to make it not worth it for smaller developers?

"Worth it" is wildly variable, and a big part of it is where you start the
project.  If you start with DirectX, you're better off "porting" it by making
sure it runs in e.g. Cedega than actually porting it.  If you are using the
build tools included with Visual Studio, part of the port is either a) moving
everything over to Makefiles or b) maintaining two or more sets of build
files.  The latter option is obviously time-consuming, but the former option
also involves (arguably) making yourself less efficient, which also costs time.

You have to test all features and bugfixes across all platforms, you have to
actually be running all platforms (and with OS X, which has a bigger gamer
market than Linux, that basically means a separate machine).  When the same
code behaves differently on different platforms (e.g., one or more platforms
aren't following specs properly), you have to debug it and figure out
workarounds - extra platforms multiply the amount of effort that is.

As best I can tell, Kevin is already straining at the edges of what is largely
a one-man operation.  He would probably have had to hack out quite a bit to
make time for multiplatform support, or have enough money to employ one or
more people as full time as he is to do it.
--
 Matthew Weigel
 hacker