[gameprogrammer] Re: Grumble gripe... my class was canceled.

  • From: Matthew Weigel <unique@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 18:19:41 -0500

Bob Pendleton wrote:

> If you have ideas about how to market it, let me know.

For Austin, I know there's http://community.livejournal.com/austingeeks/
and http://geekaustin.com/ - neither are very high traffic, but they are
both run by Lynn Bender who knows a *lot* of people.  Beyond that, if I
were good at marketing, I probably wouldn't be a programmer.

> My experience is that the average programmer taking my class needs only
> a couple of other classes to begin writing and designing professional
> level independent games. I am not really bothered by the fact that they
> don't complete the certificate.

I think it should be a useful adjunct to the portfolio and experience
the individual courses help you develop; at the present time, it doesn't
seem that way.  I'm not saying anyone should see completion of the
certificate as *necessary,* but right now very few people see it as even
helpful.

Then again, turn it around - the capstone project
(http://www.austincc.edu/techcert/Video_Capstone_Course.html for
everyone else reading) requires a programmer who has completed the six
non-programming courses, the four required programming courses, and two
other programming courses.  The lack of programmers can stall out
everyone else...

> You ought to just post that on the list here. I bet we can work it out
> in a short period of time.

I'm a lot more comfortable showing buggy code in person than posting it
online.  Regardless, I have next week off from work to volunteer at the
Austin Games Conference, and I anticipate spending my free time tracking
down that bug.
--
 Matthew Weigel