[fsf60k] Re: fsf60k Digest V5 #60

  • From: kcshr@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 10:51:54 -0500 (CDT)

 Suoer idea, Michael.  Getting utensils donated should be very ea= sy.
Within FSFS and SF60,000 we could probably do it all.
Kate
=
Jul 5, 2010 11:47:32 AM, fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
***This is a = message from a member of Friends of Students for 60,000***
one of th= e goals is to make the gardens a requirement..
i think it will help to m= easure the success of the first "pilot gardens"
and then implement at all t= he schools based on what works and what does
not..
it would be great to = buy utensils but my guess is if we asked around we
could get them donated..=
people buy new silverware all the time and i do not recall a great deal= of
it being donated over the years...
a few spoons here and a couple fo= rks there will add up and we can stock
thekitchens with these donations..i think this would be a good initiative to
get out on facebook..
sf60= k alum remember this program and all the 5 and 10 dollar donations
could ad= d up and help us raise funds to do some of these smaller "reward
type proje= cts" or perhaps even remodeling of a comedor or two..
talk soon
mcOn Jul 2, 2010, at 10:56 AM, Peter White wrote:

>***This is a m= essage from a member of Friends of Students for 60,000***
>
>= Carol and Fran, thanks very much for the translation. Sue, I'm including
yo= u
>because I don't know if you are on the fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx group= email
>thing. You said you wanted to be in on the CE program, so he= re's the
latest
>from Mike and Conchita. Mike, Conchita and Emily, w= ow. based on these
notes
>you had a busy time getting so many people= out to the meetings, getting to
>so many places/schools, and gather= ing so much information. As Mike asked,
>do have a few questions/c= omments, and upon re-reading it again later,
I'll
>probably have mor= e. Here are a few.
>
>1. I really like the idea of having gar= dens. Whether they're biointensive
or
>not, getting kids involved in= helping themselves is a very important
thing.
>In fact, its the ess= ence of the project in my view. If the gardens are
right
>on the sch= ool property, they would have to be watched for pilferage and
>anima= ls eating up whatever grows. So fencing and security are issues. But
&gt= ; they could be hand watered and growing something all year round, not
just=
>when there's rain. There's a huge amount of "Kid Power" that is un=
harnessed
>in chacraseca and NA for that matter. Nica kids are stron= g because they
lead
>such a physical life. That strength could be us= ed in these gardens where
>they could learn a lot and also provide t= omatoes, other vegetables, etc.
If
>North American kids, college stu= dents, and others can do whatever they do
>provide money and supp= lies, then kids' participation in these gardens
should
>be a require= ment of some sort. I like the idea.
>
>2. Some of the problem= s described in Mike's notes seem to be solveable,
like
>the problems= of utensils. Someone here, maybe a member of Friends, could
>take c= harge of some sort of appeal for such items and make sure they are
>= packed correctly and brought down by either Emerson, or another of
Mike's>college groups who go down soon, or Students next Feb. Or funds coul=
d be
>raised to buy some utensil/kitchen ware down there so no trans= port. Need
>specifics on whether metal forks/spoons are better, or p= lastic, and how
>many. also, Bill and I pledged some money when we l= earned from Chelsea
that
>the CE's weren't doing so great. Seems lik= e acc. to Mike and Conchita
things
>are about 30% sustainable overal= l. Maybe Bill's and my money could be
used
>for utensils just to cle= ar up that problem in a quick way.
>
>3. I like the idea stat= ed in the notes that "We make a deal..." Otherwise
it
>just the same= old gimme, gimme, gimme program. The level of participation
>has to= be raised. Seems there's an obvious correlation between the schools
&gt= ; where parent/student participation is good and the strength of the
progra= m,
>number of kids eating, etc. In those schools where partic. is lo= w, kids
eat
>less, fewer times, etc. Maybe its time for some tough b= ehavior. In the
>beginning we were torn with the issue of having onl= y the kids whose
parents
>participated eating. Some schools fed only= the kids whose parents worked.
>Teachers felt bad seeing some kids = not eating so they got fed anyway.
Maybe
>if the parent doesn't work= , the kid has to become a regular in the
school's
>garden in order t= o eat. Why should a kid eat if his parent doesn't work,
and
>neither= does he? I know sports is different than eating, which is a basic
>= necessity, but here if a kid is on a team and misses practices, or
doesn't>give 100% acc. to the coaches, he sits on the bench at game time. K=
ids have
>to get into the act more here, where they can of course.>
>4. Maybe separate out all these needs and have each helping= group assume
>responsibility for one or more of them. For example,> - Bill and my
donationcould handle the problem of utensils
>= - Emerson or SUNY or M/D could take on a problem, like garden
initiatives,=
>fencing, seed, tools, etc.
>- Friends could assume a need> - Students could also.
>- An individual/almuni (i.e. facebook= reader) who wished to become
involved
>could do so individually or = with a group of friends, especially if the
cost
>of a particular nee= d was modest.
>
>I've always felt that the CE Project is hist= oric, that students here
could
>fund very poor people with the means= of having them feed themselves.
Getting