[fsf60k] The latest

  • From: "Wiltamuth, Dick" <Dick.Wiltamuth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:52:30 -0500

dear friends,
at last night's meeting, it was reported that students for 60,000 no
longer has advisers. we debated whether our group might take a
collective role as advisers to the students, perhaps with a lead adviser
such as pete white. no conclusions were reached, but everyone was
committed to making sure the students have adult leadership next school
year.
the party at millie's is still on for july 28. the menu has now morphed
into a full-blown dinner with a great list of appetizers, entrees, etc.
the caterer is giving us a great deal. there will be a donation jar for
those who want drinks. printed invitations will be sent out by the end
of june, as will invitation e-mails. if you know of people who might
want to come but who are unfortunate enough not to be on freelists,
please notify pete white at pedro831@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx he is compiling a
computerized mailing list that we can use in the future. if you don't
have mailing addresses, send e-mail addresses. our three honorees will
be able to attend. if you know of a guitarist or other musician who
would like to perform, let us know. some silent auction items have been
donated, including baseball tickets, but more items are needed. heather
moore has graciously offered nicaraguan ceramics and a painting.
on the nuevo amanecer water front, george pardo has sent instructions to
nica for constructing an arsenic filter. each house would have one to
clean the water. we are waiting to see if the materials can be obtained
locally and if a filter can be assembled using george's instructions.
george also discussed another method of arsenic removal that involves
treating the water at the well with pellets in a canister. this has the
advantage of not needing to monitor filters at 50-something homes. the
pellet method will be investigated.
carol werblin reported on the eric meyerowitz-led trip to nica, which
was centered in the north. the group of 19 visited several communities,
did construction work and examined a microfinance program. at some
point, the group hopes to select a community for assistance. eric may be
able to bring back ceramics from condega for sale at the party.
another possible project is providing solar flashlights through an
outfit call bogolight. for $25, you get two flashlights (one donated to
a charity, which in this case is us) and $1 donated to your
organization. the flashlight seems sturdy and provides enough light for
reading. most nica homes now depend on kerosene lanterns or candles. the
web site is www.bogolight.com. buy one, get one, get it? one of the
lights may be sent to nica soon for field testing.
our next meeting is scheduled for 7:30 thursday, july 5, at temple beth
el. expect some fireworks.