[fruityloops] Re: Where and how to post tunes

  • From: Andrew Ebling <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 21 Feb 2003 09:58:04 +0000

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 09:38, Tim Jenkins wrote:
> After doing this music stuff for a year and a half I have my first track at
> a position where I would like feedback. It is on cd at the moment and I only
> have internet access at work. How can I get this track on line so that it is
> available for feedback. I use the computer music forum (under JimmiJ) so if
> I can post it there that would be cool. But I don't know how to ?? also
> maybe of the official FL site ??
>
> Do I need to be able to host it form a PC online ?

You have several options here, but for all of them, you really need the
track in mp3 format, usually at 128kpbs bit rate, although some people
use 160kbps for better quality but larger file size.

Your options:

i) upload it to the "song exchange" forum on the official fruity website
(S.EX link from the main page).  I think they have a prize each month
for the best track, but that might just be a rumour ;-).  Its easy to do
this and you don't need any extra software.

ii) create an account at sectionz.net and upload it there (again easy to
do, doesn't require any extra software).  Sectionz is great if you want
lots of formal feedback/ratings rather than a few random remarks, plus
there are monthly charts.  I used to be quite an active member of
sectionz, but it got very slow and unreliable a few months back before
they relaunched.  I've never really got back into it since.

iii) buy an account at mp3.com, ampcast.com mp3.com.au etc.  This gives
you the advantage of more traffic/listens but you aren't going to make
any money out of it or sell any CDs!  Generally its fairly easy to do
this, but you'll have to be prepared to pay monthly to keep your account
alive.  At mp3.com you can have an account for free, but you can only
have 3 tracks.  I'd recommend doing this as well as step iv) and link to
your own web page from your mp3.com page.

iv) create your own webpage and put it on the net with your tracks.
This requires more technical know how, but you can get apps that do it
all for you.  You'll also have to install an FTP program, unless you are
happy using the command line one that comes with windows.  Search
Tucows.com for a few options.  If you had internet access at home then
you could just use the web space that comes with your ISP account.
Alternatively you can buy web space on its own from companies like
penguinhosting.net, who offer unlimited space and bandwidth for 10USD a
month - this is about the best deal I've come across!

Once you have got your track uploaded somewhere (and have tested that it
downloads and plays OK), subscribe to the newtrax mailing list:

and make an announcement to get some people listening.  Also post in the
Computer Music listening lounge and/or put a link to your music in your
forum signature.

I have a policy of not allowing "please listen to my music" posts on
this list any more.  We now have quite a lot of subscribers and if
everyone did that, the list would be swamped!

hope that helps,

Andy