FRTM - Re: Special Meeting Concept?

  • From: "Ray Pezolt " <repezolt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:54:27 -0600

Just as a follow up to Dirk's message.  I will be the Toastmaster for the
May 7 meeting.  One of the scheduled speakers is not able to take their spot
and we have decided to use that time to discuss the debate meeting and the
needs and requirements.  I have not made the official notification yet but I
intend to ask Dirk and Bill Farrand (and anyone else that has actually
participated in the past) to speak briefly about the debate format and help
set up the program.  I have not personally participated but have talked with
several people who have and it sounds like a very fun evening.  It also
requires some work and some research to participate and be competitive.
Look forward to seeing everyone there.

Ray Pezolt

  _____

From: CELENA COLLINS <celenacollins@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, April 28, 2009 9:05 am
To: <frtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dirk,

thanks for clearing that up!

When is this meeting to take place? will it replace a typical meeting, or is
it in addition to the normal routine?  I would volunteer to be a debator,
however, I thought I was speaking this thursday, and I don't want to double
book myself.

Celena Collins
Make it a great day!

  _____

From: dirk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: frtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:55:04 -0700

Celena, thank you for your comment.

There is no competition to be a member of a debate team.  I'm assembling a
list of people who would like to assume various roles in this meeing,
including that of a debater.  If I have more than the desired number for a
given the role, we'll draw from a hat to assemble the teams.

For this meetin we need four debaters, a facilitator, a chief judge, four
judges, and a refreshment committee (2?).  I have had a number of people
volunteer for various positions and am still seeking volunteers.

Please step up and volunteer for a role.  It going to be an interesting
night.

Dirk

From: james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: frtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:30:14 -0600

I want to be one of the Debaters!!! What do you think about this? Instead of
table tobics one night we should compete for a spot to debate?

James Klingensmith C.Ht.
Official 105.9 Alice Morning Show Hypnotist
askyourhypnotist.com
720-319-0364

 <http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=EML_WLHM_GreaterGood>
i'mEMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me

  _____

From: dirk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: frtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FRTM - Special Meeting Concept?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 12:16:01 -0700

Friends,

Last night's meeting at Kathy's RNL Design conference room in Downtown
Denver was superb.  We started a little late as some had issues finding the
guard to let the elevator go to the second floor.  That said, I was a
beautiful room and gave us a chance to be in a professional environment with
new obsticles to overcome.  Thank you, Kathy, for hosting the meeting.

At the end of the meeting we discussed ideas for the next theme meeting.
Bill threw out having a debate and everyone seemed to like this idea.  This
will require some advance planning to put together and participation by the
club membership.  I'll tell you that we've had three debates in the club
since I became involved, and each one was an unbeliveable experience for all
involved and quite interesting to observe.

For example, the following issues were debated in two of our events:

    "Should the theory of Creation by Intelligent Design be taught in public
schools?"

    "Should the phrase "under god" be removed from the pledge of
allegience?"

So I'm asking for some feedback.

(1) Does having a debate in our club sound like a good idea to you?

(2) We need a number of roles filled, volunteers anyone?

Debators (4)

Facilitator (1)

Judges (4)

Timers (2)

Refreshments Coordinators (2)

If I have more people volunteer for one role than needed, we will have a
random drawing.  Ideally the debate teams would be an experienced TM paired
with an inexperience TM.  We've done this in the past and it has worked out
well.

Your thoughts?

Dirk Kittedge

Educational Vice President

Front Range Toastmasters

  _____

Rediscover HotmailR: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox. Check
<http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Up
dates2_042009>  it out.

  _____

Rediscover HotmailR: Now available on your iPhone or BlackBerry Check it
out.
<http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Mo
bile2_042009>