FRTM - Re: Special Meeting Concept?

  • From: Greg Krueger <gkrueger99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:39:51 -0700 (PDT)

Dirk,

Sign me up for one of the timer positions.

Thanks,

Greg

________________________________
From: CELENA COLLINS <celenacollins@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, April 28, 2009 9:05 am
To: <frtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dirk,

thanks for clearing that up!

When is this meeting to take place? will it replace a typical meeting, or is it
in addition to the normal routine?  I would volunteer to be a debator, however,
I thought I was speaking this thursday, and I don't want to double book myself.

Celena Collins
Make it a great day!

________________________________
From: dirk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: frtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:55:04 -0700

Celena, thank you for your comment.

There is no competition to be a member of a debate team.  I'm assembling a list
of people who would like to assume various roles in this meeing, including that
of a debater.  If I have more than the desired number for a given the role,
we'll draw from a hat to assemble the teams.

For this meetin we need four debaters, a facilitator, a chief judge, four
judges, and a refreshment committee (2?).  I have had a number of people
volunteer for various positions and am still seeking volunteers.

Please step up and volunteer for a role.  It going to be an interesting night.

Dirk

From: james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: frtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:30:14 -0600

I want to be one of the Debaters!!! What do you think about this? Instead of
table tobics one night we should compete for a spot to debate?

James Klingensmith C.Ht.
Official 105.9 Alice Morning Show Hypnotist
askyourhypnotist.com
720-319-0364

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me

________________________________
From: dirk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: frtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FRTM - Special Meeting Concept?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 12:16:01 -0700

Friends,

Last night's meeting at Kathy's RNL Design conference room in Downtown Denver
was superb.  We started a little late as some had issues finding the guard to
let the elevator go to the second floor.  That said, I was a beautiful room and
gave us a chance to be in a professional environment with new obsticles to
overcome.  Thank you, Kathy, for hosting the meeting.

At the end of the meeting we discussed ideas for the next theme meeting.  Bill
threw out having a debate and everyone seemed to like this idea.  This will
require some advance planning to put together and participation by the club
membership.  I'll tell you that we've had three debates in the club since I
became involved, and each one was an unbeliveable experience for all involved
and quite interesting to observe.

For example, the following issues were debated in two of our events:
    "Should the theory of Creation by Intelligent Design be taught in public
schools?"
    "Should the phrase "under god" be removed from the pledge of allegience?"

So I'm asking for some feedback.

(1) Does having a debate in our club sound like a good idea to you?
(2) We need a number of roles filled, volunteers anyone?

Debators (4)
Facilitator (1)
Judges (4)
Timers (2)
Refreshments Coordinators (2)

If I have more people volunteer for one role than needed, we will have a random
drawing.  Ideally the debate teams would be an experienced TM paired with an
inexperience TM.  We've done this in the past and it has worked out well.

Your thoughts?

Dirk Kittedge
Educational Vice President
Front Range Toastmasters

Rediscover Hotmail®: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox. Check it
out.
Rediscover Hotmail®: Now available on your iPhone or BlackBerry Check it out.