FRTM - Re: Special Meeting Concept?

  • From: dirk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: frtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:55:04 -0700

Celena, thank you for your comment.

There is no competition to be a member of a debate team.  I'm assembling a list of people who would like to assume various roles in this meeing, including that of a debater.  If I have more than the desired number for a given the role, we'll draw from a hat to assemble the teams.

For this meetin we need four debaters, a facilitator, a chief judge, four judges, and a refreshment committee (2?).  I have had a number of people volunteer for various positions and am still seeking volunteers.

Please step up and volunteer for a role.  It going to be an interesting night.

Dirk

From: james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: frtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:30:14 -0600

I want to be one of the Debaters!!! What do you think about this? Instead of table tobics one night we should compete for a spot to debate?

James Klingensmith C.Ht.
Official 105.9 Alice Morning Show Hypnotist
askyourhypnotist.com
720-319-0364

i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me

From: dirk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: frtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FRTM - Special Meeting Concept?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 12:16:01 -0700

Friends,

Last night's meeting at Kathy's RNL Design conference room in Downtown Denver was superb.  We started a little late as some had issues finding the guard to let the elevator go to the second floor.  That said, I was a beautiful room and gave us a chance to be in a professional environment with new obsticles to overcome.  Thank you, Kathy, for hosting the meeting.

At the end of the meeting we discussed ideas for the next theme meeting.  Bill threw out having a debate and everyone seemed to like this idea.  This will require some advance planning to put together and participation by the club membership.  I'll tell you that we've had three debates in the club since I became involved, and each one was an unbeliveable experience for all involved and quite interesting to observe.

For example, the following issues were debated in two of our events:
    "Should the theory of Creation by Intelligent Design be taught in public schools?"
    "Should the phrase "under god" be removed from the pledge of allegience?"

So I'm asking for some feedback.

(1) Does having a debate in our club sound like a good idea to you?
(2) We need a number of roles filled, volunteers anyone?

Debators (4)
Facilitator (1)
Judges (4)
Timers (2)
Refreshments Coordinators (2)

If I have more people volunteer for one role than needed, we will have a random drawing.  Ideally the debate teams would be an experienced TM paired with an inexperience TM.  We've done this in the past and it has worked out well.

Your thoughts?

Dirk Kittedge
Educational Vice President
Front Range Toastmasters

Rediscover Hotmail®: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox. Check it out.