[frgeek-michiana] Warehouse Report - 12/16/2008

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 10:02:16 -0500

Present: Kevin, Phil, Chuq, Dave, Forest, Goose, John, Tom

:: FreeBoxes

Phil, Chuq, Dave and John worked on FreeBoxes and demans. Kevin supervised and consulted.

:: DHCP Problem

The warehouse had crazy DHCP and no Internet. Goose and I attacked the problem. We discovered the Linksys switch on table #1 was a router too and was dishing DHCP, which it had never done before. We replaced it with a simple switch. The VL 5.8 server network configurations needed a touch up, and Goose did the job. Goose and I decided we need to copy the valid network configs on the VL server to a safe directory where we can reference them. This is at least the second time we've had DHCP problems in the office. Both times a rogue device started issuing DHCP, and the VL network configs changed.

:: Towne Freight

Forest talked to a sales rep at Towne Freight re hauling a semi-trailer full of electronic gear to Indy for recycling. A standard trailer will hold 52 stacked skids. The one-way cost is $500; plus, we lose the value of the skids and gaylords. Towne will drop off a trailer on-site for two weeks to load it. Because of the cost, we are unlikely to ever send gear to Indy for recycling. However, it is good to have facts and figures.

:: Wilson School

In spite of the snow storm, parents and students showed up for the STARS meeting at Wilson Primary Center. Carol, the FACS coordinator, raffled the FreeBox system to the participants. The cutest little girl in the room won. Although the girl was excited, her mother was even more excited.

I gave the family a brief demo on how to boot and shut down the system and warned them about the mobo battery which acted up when I first booted the system -- it lost the date/time. The computer spent a whole day in my car so it was cold when I set it up at Wilson. I rebooted the system to show the family the likely problem, but the system booted normally. I think the battery warmed up and ran at full available voltage. Hopefully, it won't be a problem at their home. I encouraged the family to volunteer with us so they can get immediate help with the system and gave them my business card.

Carol kept the raffle tickets and solicited phone numbers for every ticket so she can recruit for a FreeBox class in mid to late January after the new semester starts and the kids and teachers settle down. I will get FreeGeek flyers to Carol to hand out at STARS meetings.

:: Perley Hispanic FreeBox Class

There were technical glitches with the digital projector and laptop. Forest will bring his projector to the warehouse on Thursday, and Chuq will bring his laptop so we can address the problems quickly. Other than that, the class went well. Nichole, the FACS coordinator at Perley, had already sent images from the class to Carol, her counterpart at Wilson. Nichole told Carol the FreeBox recipients were pleased with the class and their computer systems.

Cynthia, an Hispanic volunteer at Perley, has translated some of our handouts to Spanish for use at future classes. Perley is 50% Black, 21% White, 16% multiracial and 11% Hispanic. The students at Wilson are evenly divided (30% each) between Hispanic, Black and White students with a few other races and ethnicities comprising the last 10%.

Perley -- http://mustang.doe.state.in.us/SEARCH/snapshot.cfm?schl=7613
Wilson -- http://mustang.doe.state.in.us/SEARCH/snapshot.cfm?schl=7588

With so many Hispanics on the west side of South Bend, we might combine some public and parochial school events for Hispanics.

####