[frgeek-michiana] Re: Thursday WH report; Febuary 18, 2010

  • From: Mike Cook <mikecook@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:31:55 -0500

I'll keep notes and forward them along. I really didn't find much new on the VL
forum. It looks like they would like more internationalization (i18n) and
localization (L10n) support but as yet haven't got there. I'm going to look at
Slackware and see if Mr V is any further along. I found some useful discussion
on the Slitaz (also a slack derivative) forum as well. There is definitely a
lot to do to make GNU Linux truly international. A lot of legacy programs would
need to be completely rewritten to support i18n and there are many different
methods used in those programs that currently support i18n. My current plan is
limited to working on the user interactive scripting and menus for the OS
rather than going into the programs. This means that most of the cl programs
will remain in english and some of the gui programs. We may need to replace
some of the default programs if they are too intransigent.

Mike

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 16:28:27 -0500
"Tom Brown" <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Could you let the VL developers know the problems you uncover re
> localization and what you are doing to resolve them?
>
> There is a how-to link in the forums re localization. You could add your 2
> cents there.
>
>   http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=8331
>
> Or, there is the general dev forum.
>
>   http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?board=29.0