[frgeek-michiana] Oh my back & Compaq Deskpro 2000 MMX!

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <csxt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free Geek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 14:56:49 -0500

1. Friday Goose gets out of the goose lab for some exercise. This is good
considering the doc is always after Goose to get more exercise. So I go help
Tom & Olin move old to be recycled systems / monitors to the barn.

   This process goes well except there is WAY too much moisture to test
monitors with. So we go ahaead and some some parts we knew we needed and will
wait for better weather before we test monitors again. We still managed to get
3 or 4 good ones so there should be enough to fill out the systems we have for
the next class or two.

   Unfortunately, good exercise = messed up back for Goose. the 90 degree
staircase got me in the end. What the lab didn't do to me Friday my daughter
finished on Saturday.

2. The Compaq Deskpro 2000 from hell. Mike did a valiant effort finding Goose
the setup disk to reconfig the machine. Seems Compaq thought it was a good
idea to place the USB and Video controllers on the same IRQ! We all know Linux
kenerls prefer everything seperate.

   Turns out the setup disk Mike found supports EVERYTHING it says it does
EXCEPT MMX processors! Why I do not know but I spend a better part of an hour
looking for a Compaq Setup Disk set that will support the machine. SUCCESS!
Video remains on IRQ 11 and USB is now on IRQ 10! So, I'm trying a Vector 3.2
install again to see if the wild video problem has gone away.

   In the interesting notes dept: Compaq's own setup says it's a S3 Trio64V2
chipset! We'll ignore the GX2 part on the chip I guess!

   If I can finally get video going on this Compaq then I'll turn my attention
to seeing if I can throttle up the SCSI bus on the turbine. I seem to remember
that SCSI will talk at the speed of the slowest device. CD-Rom is 4 mhz,
drives are 10 mhz.. Do the math!

   I'm going to see if I can move the CD-ROM onto bus 1 and let the drives be
alone. The current plan is to put Debian on it and LTSP to see what kind of
load it will be able to handle.

* - * - *

   Well, that's it from the Goose Lab. I'm gonna hit the floor and do so more
streching....

   Goose (ouch!) I man out! :)

at <//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>