[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes, 1-2-04

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 22:00:45 -0500

LAB NOTES, 1-2-04

Present: Olin Zuercher, Goose Zimmerman, Tom Brown; 1:00 - 5:00 PM

:: Scrap to Barn

We hauled scrap from the Upper Room to the Barn. We didn't clear enough space to install work benches. But we made a small dent.

To demanufacture we need a work bench in the Upper Room, shelving and tubs to haul scrap. I'd like to start demanufacturing by the end of January.

Olin suggested that RubberMaid tubs are the least expensive way to haul scrap to the Barn once we begin to demanufacture. I need a lowest cost source of foam-core or solid-core doors (seconds, damaged) to use for work benches and saw horses to set them on. We also need to purchase pallets and gaylords for the Barn and shelving for the Upper Room. Henry Davis gave me a contact for used shelving.

:: Foggy Bottom

The Barn had been filled with fog before we got there. The concrete floors weren't just damp -- they were wet. And so were all the computers and monitors. Got to expect problems with cold storage in a leaky old barn!

:: Monitor Testing

Goose brought a Compaq box with Win 98 from the Upper Room. He and I shared a test bench I already setup at the Barn. Olin brought his Windows laptop and set up a test bench on top of a row of empty cases. We quit testing after three monitors stopped working during testing or wouldn't work at all. The monitors were so wet that we feared we were destroying them by testing.

On the upside three monitors tested good before we quit. About half the monitors tested were too fuzzy or dim to read and ended up on the scrap pile. At least we have enough monitors to schedule a FreeBox class.