[frgeek-michiana] Modem fwd from FGPDX startup list

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 13:03:33 -0500

Links re Ubuntu modem issues at bottom of fwd.

Tom

Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 13:31:24 -0800
From: martin <stillflame@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Making new Free Geeks outside of PDX <startup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [freegeek-startup] Jim Cox

greetings to you from pdx.

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 09:44:17AM -0800, Jim Cox wrote:
>    O/s's . I have Ubunto on one HD I try to work with when I can, a nice
>    system , but can't figure out how to get it on my dial up service,
>    LOL. Maybe I can learn a little more about it here at free geek .

you probably have a software modem and need non-free drivers.
there is some help for this on our wiki[1],
though really,
the ubuntu forums[2] have way more information than us on getting
things to work in general.

> Jim Cox

funny coincidence -
one of our core volunteers has the same name.
he's somewhere in his 80s (i think) and has built well over 200
computers now.

murr,
 - martin, freegeek.pdx build coordinator

[1] http://wiki.freegeek.org/index.php/Build_tips
[2] http://ubuntuforums.org/