[frgeek-michiana] Fwd: FreeGeek Franchise, Ahoy!

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 13:29:46 -0500

fyi.

Tom

From: shawn <shawn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: FreeGeek Franchise, Ahoy!
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 16:35:25 -0800
To: franchise@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Arkansas, Chicago, Columbus, Michiana, Vancouver, and Tennessee!

Congratulations! We all welcome you to become a new Free Geek! Your
organization now has Preliminary Status as an official Free Geek. You have
permission to use the name Free Geek as part of your organization's name.

More importantly, you are now eligible for membership in Free Geek
Intergalactic, and can participate in the process of helping others start
down the path of becoming a Free Geek or an affiliated organization in their
own community.  Soon, we'll need everyone to sign a Trademark License
Agreement. It's still in development, though, and since you're all now Free
Geeks, we'd love any input you have:
http://wiki.freegeek.org/index.php/Trademark_License_Agreement.  More on what
might be involved in being part of Free Geek Intergalactic later.

We can now help you start to work (if you haven't already) on things like
incorporation, setting up your decision-making bodies, getting your bylaws
together, learning how to run your organization in a democratic and inclusive
way without bogging down in too much process, researching the recycling
industry in your area, building up your infrastructure and recruiting
volunteers to help out. All of these things need to be accomplished or set
up so that your group can successfully complete the second step of the
application process.

The newly complete list of Free Geeks is:

* Free Geek (Portland, aka the Mothership) http://freegeek.org
* Free Geek Arkansas (in Fayetteville) http://freegeekarkansas.org
* Free Geek Chicago (Illinois) http://freegeekchicago.org
* Free Geek Columbus (Ohio) http://freegeekcolumbus.org
* Free Geek Michiana (South Bend, Indiana) http://freegeekmichiana.org
* Free Geek Vancouver (Vancouver, BC) http://freegeekvancouver.org

Accepted but not using the Free Geek name yet:

* Rutherford County Computer Recyclers (Murfreesboro, Tennessee)

Please select a representative or two (or three) to be on the Free Geek
Intergalactic email list that deals with new applications
<franchise at lists.freegeek.org>, so we can start to discuss the other
pending applications and begin the process of formalizing the Free Geek
Intergalactic organization. Note: this is separate and different than the
start-up list. Please keep sending questions and providing your own unique
perspectives on the start-up list and we will see the list of official Free
Geeks continue to grow.

w00t!

Shawn Furst and the rest of the Free Geek Franchise Group