[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes, 3/15/05

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:43:02 -0500

:: Board Meeting Next Tuesday

We will hold a board of directors meeting next Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. I hope this allows everyone time to eat an evening meal. Email or phone (my cell, 298-2706) agenda items to me.

Items already on the agenda:
. upgrade FreeBox specs to P-II
. include CDROM and other peripherals in new FB spec
. upgrade FB OS to VL 4.x or 5.x or another distro
. update budget and spend the funds from United Way
. charge disposal fee for FreeBox monitors
. charge deposit on FreeBoxes
. set date to open new classroom/lab
. progress on applying for our own IRS non-profit designation
. call previous FB recipients re new specs

All volunteers are welcome at the board meetings. Everyone please attend!

:: The Good Old Days

Jackie filled the class Saturday. Terry taught with Jackie's assistance, and they distributed 7 FreeBoxes. Terry is away this coming Saturday so I will instruct. Jackie is regularly teaching the gui section of the class, which is to say, about a third of the material.

Only one computer failed during the class.

:: The Bad Old Days

Since Terry and Jackie successfully gave away all the FreeBoxes Saturday, we needed to ready a new set of 8 by the end of lab. Preparing the FreeBoxes was like pulling teeth. Tebra, Mike, Al, John, Ed and I barely got 8 finished by 10:00. A few of us worked past 10:00 to straighten up the room before we left. Jackie stopped by early for an hour to help.

At 8:30 we only had 3 FreeBoxes done. I called Jackie to warn her about the shortage. Jackie was prepared to call the class and reschedule the students according to how many FreeBoxes we completed. Luckily, we were able to complete the set. But it was close. It reminded me of the bad old days when Mike and I would frequently work until 11:00 or 12:00 midnight to complete enough FreeBoxes to hold a class.

:: Tebra Mason Earns Upgrade

Tebra has volunteered enough hours to earn an upgrade for her FreeBox. Since we didn't have time to do the upgrade at lab, Al took Tebra's computer home with him. Tebra wants a CDROM installed first. Later, we'll install a sound card and modem.

Jackie Morris is also due for an upgrade. Al Boits would like a machine to practice lessons from the Linux RUTE manual. He took a VL 3.2 hard drive home to install on his own PC but decided he would rather use a more recent distro. Al ordered the hard copy. The online version link is below.

http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz

//Tom

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>