[frgeek-michiana] Re: LTSP terminal or lab workstation?

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:27:19 -0500

I'm hoping the E790 model sells well and the manufacturer tries a 10" screen, 90+% keyboard and Atom processor, at a low price point. Unless Debian supports both the ARM processor and LTSP (no evidence of that yet), or the manufacturer uses the Atom, we'll be out of luck.

http://www.debian.org/ports/arm/
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=ltsp

Tom

Mike Cook wrote:
That particular unit uses a 533MHz, ARM9 based, Samsung S3C2450, RISC processor. I'm not sure how well it would be supported in LTSP, definitely not a standard kernel. It comes with WindowsCE and they say it will run Android. Sounds like it could be cool though if you ditch the WinCE which isn't fully ARM compatible. As far as I can tell there are no US suppliers for any MenQ products and it looks like MenQ is selling to oem's, not consumers, so the $80 price might be an oem price rather than a consumer price. The 7" screen might be a problem for us blind-as-a-bat types too. There are a number of inexpensive ARM based netbooks either planned or in pre-production now and they promise adequate performance , long battery life, and excellent Linux compatibility. Not a gaming or compiling environment but good for general purpose web surfing and word processing. Hopefully some of these systems might someday become available in the US.

Mike

Tom Brown wrote:
EasyPC E790, $80 (yes, eighty USD)

http://www.techgadgets.in/misc-gadgets/2009/16/menq-presents-easypc-e790-min
i-pc/

PLEASE don't post personal or sensitive information unless you wish for it to be in the public domain.

To visit the main website for Free Geek Michiana go to http://www.freegeekmichiana.org