[frgeek-michiana] Re: Indy drop-off event (formerly: Re: Re: Warehouse Report - 12/16/2008)

  • From: "Chuq Jackels" <chuq00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:34:27 -0500

Sort of somewhat.. Let me see if I understand correctly; City of Indy will
accept our sizable amount of recyclables ( all of the skids we have in the
racks) but we will *not* be receiving any funds for doings so. The biggest
benefit that we will receive is getting the stuff out of our storage area?
Am I correct on this so far?
As far as the truck situation goes possibly renting a large Uhaul or Ryder
moving truck to handle the logistics be a better alternative? Here is a
quote of the costs with Ryder for a 26' with lift gate (class A cdl is
required) picking it up on Friday evening (4pm) and it is for a 2 day rental
due to us needing to get the truck as early as possible ( like 5 am!!) and
they aren't open that early so pick it up Friday evening and then return it
either Saturday evening or Sunday
Rough estimate for the total cost is $212 for the truck and mileage and
about $100 for fuel plus Rates does not include Ryder Protection Coverage,
any applicable taxes, fuel, or Environment Protection Fees.
So all in all I believe it will cost us about $350-400 at the most to do
this.
 So I guess the real question is: Is it worth $400 to reduce our stuff in
storage??

Here is the quote from Ryder.com

Pickup Time:     1/9/2009 4:00:00 PM for 2 day(s)
Vehicle Type:   26ft Heavy Duty Straight Truck (CDL Required)
Side Door Required:     No
Lift Gate Required:     Yes
Rear Door Option:       N/A

Daily Rate:     Standard Price          89.00
        Online Price    76.00
Weekly Rate:    445.00  378.25
Cost/mile:      .20
* Coupon required at counter
Rates does not include Ryder Protection Coverage, any applicable taxes,
fuel,or Environment Protection Fees.
Availability may require Ryder System, Inc. to substitute truck sizes.

Ahhhh but wait.....
I checked out the price for a non "heavy duty" truck same size no cdl
required and the cost is much better!!
$120 for the truck (the mileage would be free for 1000 miles) and still
about $100 for fuel
So now this is looking to cost us $250 to 300 at worst. Maybe that is a bit
more do-able.  And by my rough guesstimate I would say we should fit about
13 pallets in the truck. If we pick the truck up Friday and get it loaded up
Friday and then drive it down to Indy Saturday morning, unload and come back
get another load if we need to and get it down there we could wipe it all
out. I guess we need to see how many pallets we do have that can go and that
would determine the need for a 2nd trip.

Pickup Time:    1/9/2009 4:00:00 PM for 2 day(s)
Vehicle Type:   26ft Straight Truck
Side Door Required:     No
Lift Gate Required:     Yes
Rear Door Option:       N/A

Daily Rate:     Standard Price          80.00
        Online Price    60.00
Weekly Rate:    400.00  300.00
Cost/mile:      .12   *First 1,000 miles are FREE.
* Coupon required at counter