[frgeek-michiana] Debian + SuperMicro Server

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <ke4rit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free Geek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:17:49 -0500

OK,

I did some research into the Debian issue. Of course, since Debian doesn't update it's distro as often it's basically old the day it's released. For the guys who lay back on system upgrades, that's a wonderful thing.

Enter FGM's new SuperMicro server (specifically the Adaptec 4000SAS controller!

Basically Debian's Stable distro couldn't see the controller, neither could DSL. Mandriva 2006? could!

So, I looked around and found out the following.

Debian's 2.6.8 kernel - NO
Debian's  2.6.11* Kernel - YES

2.6.11 is available in the base install cd on the 'testing' disto. So, tonight I will download that cd and give it a try here somewhere when I get a second just to make sure it works (I've had problems with a 'testing' install cd in the past) If that works, then I suppose another try on the SuperMicro server will be in order Tuesday.

BTW, what are we going to name the fire breathing - earth shattering beast of a server we own now? <grin>

Anyhow, will the the LTSP Setup tonight (Makayla willing) and see how that goes. I'm also hoping to get the base install of Vector Linux done on the 'little box' tonight too.

Goose

--
Richard "Goose" Zimmerman
Safety Assistant / IT Guru

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>