[frgeek-michiana] Re: Debian Broken.....?

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:35:26 -0500

Since you want a desktop box and want it now, Mandrake and SuSE are prime choices. Both installers do a good job identifying and configuring hardware according to Chris (SuSE) and Mike (Mandrake). But they still may have problems with sound.

If you are considering VL, why not install straight-up Slackware 9.1. swaret appears to reduce the pain of maintaining a Slack box. Slack distro packages are not as cutting edge as SusE and Mandrake, but you can compile from source and bleed all over the cutting edge as much as you want. VL has limited scsi support but is a bit faster overall than Slack.

HOWTO compile kernel with ATARAID and SMP support for Slackware 9.1.
http://www.madpenguin.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=698&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Slackware 9.0 on fire? MadPenguin meets kernel 2.6.
http://www.madpenguin.org/Article337.html?POSTNUKESID=7061df7664d942ed63b8cdbbb5b570fd

VL 4.0 versus Slackware 9.1
http://www.madpenguin.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=583&pagenum=2&;

Tom

At 08:50 PM 1/6/04 -0500, you wrote:
> Which smp box are you talking about, the Turbine or your IBM dualie?

   All of this on the IBM. The Turbine has no IDE ports that I'm aware of and
i'm no6 moving that machine til my back heals up more! So I've only got the
IBM to test with.

A friend of mine suggested SusE. Who know, I might take a look at that,

   I have experience (alias 1995) compiling Slackware kernels so I could
comiple a custom SMP kernel for vector if I wanted to abuse myself bad enough.
   Goose