[frgeek-michiana] Re: Debian Broken.....?

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 08:50:26 -0500

At 12:33 AM 1/6/04 -0500, you wrote:

Well, installing Debian on an smp machne has proven to be anything but easy.
To be honest, there are enough problems that I'm considering going to another
Lunix distro so I can get back to the business to getting things done.

CDrecord: No matter what I have tried, I keep getting NMI errors. Various list
simply do not know why or they say the ram chip connectors are dirty... Clean
them. OK, I clean them ,no use. Whatever is causing the NMI problem it's
wiping out the ability of the linux kernel to use the ide-scsi driver.

Sound: Works fine inside Gnome, can't get a command line utility to use it to
save my life. Tom has mentioned Debian on the desktop was an after thought.
I'm starting to agree with him on this.

So, I've got Vector Linux... Nope, no SMP support. Can I compile it in...
Yeah, probably.

Then there is Fedora. I'm waiting to hear from Klug what they think about it.
I'm thinking that way as I know it's based on RedHat and it did work fine
before.

Mandrake. I hear it's good, just don't know....

Things not good in the Goose lab tonight....

Goose

Which smp box are you talking about, the Turbine or your IBM dualie?

You might install VL as is (no smp) just to see if it handles the cdrom subsystem and sound better than Debian, then wipe VL. VL installs relatively quickly.

The k12ltsp list is reporting problems with LTSP 4.0/Fedora. Some folks are restoring previous k12ltsp installations from backups rather than clean up the gotchas. I don't read the list often so I haven't followed the situation closely. Two major changes have occurred in very close succession: (a) Fedora replaced RH as base for k12ltsp, (b) new version of ltsp.