Re: Fountain Pens in Iraq/Kuwait

  • From: "Eric D. Zamir-Zimmerman" <eric@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: fptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 08:27:33 +0200

Why would a Montblanc pen have a triangle rather than a star?

On 10 May 2006, at 6:07, Eric J. Niksch wrote:

Fountain pen folks;

I recently returned from a medium-short trip to Kuwait and Iraq. I had asked on Pentrace about Fountain Pen shops in Kuwait City (Not expecting any in Iraq)…got no response. And, I can say that while I did not find any I am sure they exist—you just have to find the right person to show you where they are. I had also hoped to find a Montblanc 14X with a triangle versus a “star”, but alas, I had no luck. Jürgen Kühse sold one a few years ago, and I wish I had bought it.

Meanwhile, I used my early 80s Montblanc 146 and a Parker 51 Aerometric Set with Noodler’s (prototype) Polar Black and MB blue/ black inks. Traveled east on United/Lufthansa from Colorado thru Frankfurt to Kuwait City with both pens full and had no problems with leaks—even after four saved WSJ Friday crosswords and numerous Sudoku puzzles. After the flight into Baghdad, the desert climate did not seem affect either pen at all. No flow or start up problems regardless of location in Iraq. I was pleased with the ink capacity of both pens, but I used the pencil the most because the notebook I used was a “riteintherain” product which is specifically geared toward military and outdoor enthusiasts. This waterproof “paper” will not take fountain pen ink, as it just beads up. Anyway, while not my first experience in Iraq, it was the first time I tried to use a fountain pen (or two) and I was pleased to see the climate did not hinder their use otherwise. I wondered if the mild climate conditions during my April/May visit (versus other months) were the reason, but I suspect FPs could be used, with cautious care, all year round.

However, on the flight back to the US, I did have a leak with the Parker 51. I suspect it was because it was only partially full. It didn’t leak that “much”, but I did have to clean off ink from inside the cap and the nib/section area a couple of times while in- flight from Frankfurt to Chicago. The Montblanc 146 was about half full and had no leaks.

Good health to readers, and good writing.

Regards, Eric Niksch