Re: [foxboro] network locked

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 08:23:40 -0500

We had a similar problem way back when, and it turned out to be Novell IPX
packets flying by on the net that were hanging the Foxboro custom ethernet
driver on the I/A boxes (our vanilla Suns were dealing with it no
problem).  I don't know if that was ever fixed.  At the time we ran the
cron job to ifconfig up/down the interface, but later on we installed
firewalls and the issue permanently disappeared for us.

I can envision other uncommon packets causing this behavior as well.  And
at the risk of sounding like a broken record, the firewall idea is a good
one; Google for "rexec vunlerability" if you want a scare (and your
company web filter allows it :).  There's at least one remote root exploit
out there.  The 15-year-old Solaris is pretty much security Swiss cheese.

Corey Clingo
BASF

dirk.pauwels@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/05/2009 03:38 AM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] network locked

I'll compare the result from an ifconfig -a next time I have this problem
like Duc suggests and try stopping and starting the interface. Strange
thing is it happens to all of the unix stations, not just one of them.
The local VT100 works fine, also the stations continue to work fine, no
blue fields.

I'm investigating another possible cause for the moment, Global IT has an
EPO server scanning all connections to the LAN, and since our unix
stations are also connected to the business lan, the ports may get blocked

by the scanning or after the scanning took place for some reason. We took
out the unix stations' IP adresses in the EPO servers scanlist so they
won't get scanned  anymore, see what happens....

Thanks for the help guys,

Dirk Pauwels - DCS/MOC coordinator
Engineering dept.
Hexion Specialty Chemicals