[foxboro] SOlaris Security was network locked

  • From: David Johnson <drjohn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 08:34:16 -0500

Corey,

Last weekend, my son and some of his hacker friends wanted to do some
testing in our office.  Using nothing but Zenmap and metasploit they
had root access on a 51B (Solaris 2.5.1) after about 20 minutes of
playing.  I was not too surprised, but it did underscore the fact
that these are pretty open.  The funny part was after running
"ls"  and "pwd" they started asking me for unix commands to
run.  Script kiddies yes, unix savvy no.  The Solaris 8 boxes are
significantly better, at least the high schoolers didn't get into it
so easily.

Regards,
David