Re: [foxboro] network locked

  • From: dirk.pauwels@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 12:23:29 +0200

Hi Marcel,
I know about the network strategy from invensys , and we have a project
which involves setting up a separate network according to that strategy,
IT is still trying to figure out the best approach, but in the meantime
all our Exceed stations (operator stations as well as engineering pc's)
need to be able to acces the unix stations DM's, therefore each station is
connected to the business lan, which is off course behind a firewall.

Rgds,

Dirk Pauwels - DCS/MOC coordinator
Engineering dept.
Hexion Specialty Chemicals
E mail: dirk.pauwels@xxxxxxxxxx
T.  +32.(0)3.570.95.97
F.  +32.(0)3.570.16.09
Mob. +32.(0)497.428.300

"Sieling, Marcel" <Marcel.Sieling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/05/2009 10:52
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] network locked

Hi list,
Dirk wrote:
 >and since our unix stations are
 >also connected to the business
 >lan, the ports may get blocked [...]

I'd recommend to NEVER connect I/A workstations of any kind (Solaris
or Windows) directly to corporate networks, strange things of all kind
can happen. Always use firewalls to separate I/A configuration
networks (so called 2nd or 3rd Ethernet) from corporate it office
networks and configure them properly with NAT rules to ensure proper
protection. We usually use two firewalls surrounding a separate
gateway network between third Ethernet and corporate networks and
place e.g. hardened terminal servers or OPC servers inside this
separated network.

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Marcel Sieling
Senior Application Consultant

Invensys Systems GmbH
Emanuel-Leutze-Str. 11
D-40547 Düsseldorf

T:     +49 211 5966 302
F:     +49 163 99 5966 302
M:    +49 163 5966 302
E:     marcel.sieling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ips.invensys.com

Geschäftsführer: Harald Konermann - Amtsgericht Düsseldorf - HRB
37252
Hauptsitz der Firma: Emanuel-Leutze-Str.11, 40547 Düsseldorf, Germany

Am 05.05.2009 um 10:39 schrieb "dirk.pauwels@xxxxxxxxxx"
<dirk.pauwels@xxxxxxxxxx
 >:

> I'll compare the result from an ifconfig -a next time I have this
> problem
> like Duc suggests and try stopping and starting the interface. Strange
> thing is it happens to all of the unix stations, not just one of them.
> The local VT100 works fine, also the stations continue to work fine,
> no
> blue fields.
>
> I'm investigating another possible cause for the moment, Global IT
> has an
> EPO server scanning all connections to the LAN, and since our unix
> stations are also connected to the business lan, the ports may get
> blocked
> by the scanning or after the scanning took place for some reason. We
> took
> out the unix stations' IP adresses in the EPO servers scanlist so they
> won't get scanned  anymore, see what happens....
>
> Thanks for the help guys,
>
> Dirk Pauwels - DCS/MOC coordinator
> Engineering dept.
> Hexion Specialty Chemicals
> E mail: dirk.pauwels@xxxxxxxxxx
> T.  +32.(0)3.570.95.97
> F.  +32.(0)3.570.16.09
> Mob. +32.(0)497.428.300
>

> Maks Wilde <mwilde@xxxxxxxx>
> Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 04/05/2009 20:00
> Please respond to
> foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: [foxboro] network locked
>

> Dirk,
> Did you have local access to the stations? I have experienced the same
> problems on a 6.3 system where the station ran out of processes (eg:
> cannot
> open a new VT100).
> The station would appear to run fine, except no new process or
> connection
> could be started. You can run "sar -v 1 2" to see the number of
> processes
> and "ps" (with options) to investigate.
>
> If it's only a connection problem, you should try stopping and
> starting
> the
> secondary ethernet interface locally and see if it that resolves the
> problem.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Maks Wilde

> Process
> Systems (formerly The Foxboro Company). Use the info you obtain here
> at
> your own risks. Read http://www.thecassandraproject.org/
> disclaimer.html

> foxboro
> to subscribe:         mailto:foxboro-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?
> subject=join
> to unsubscribe:      mailto:foxboro-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?
> subject=leave

** Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail, including any associated or attached files, is intended
solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This e-mail
is confidential and may well also be legally privileged. If you have
received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your
system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its
contents to any other person.

This email is from the Invensys Process Systems business unit of the
Invensys Group, a group of companies owned by Invensys plc, which is a
company registered in England and Wales with its registered office at
Portland House, Bressenden Place, London, SW1E 5BF (Registered number
166023).  For a list of European legal entities within the Invensys Group,
please go to
http://www.invensys.com/legal/default.asp?top_nav_idw&nav_id?&prev_idw
.

You may contact Invensys plc on +44 (0)20 7821 3848 or e-mail
inet.hqhelpdesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx This e-mail and any attachments thereto may
be subject to the terms of any agreements between Invensys (and/or its
subsidiaries and affiliates) and the recipient (and/or its subsidiaries
and affiliates).