Re: [foxboro] go global access

  • From: "Schouten, Frits JF" <Frits.Schouten@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 09:07:36 +1000

I think there is now an even better way of securely logging in.
We now use SECURE_ID.
This is a cedit card side gadget with a 6 digit LCD display showing a number
that expires every minute.
The modem on site is synchronised with the card using very accurate clocks,
I suppose.
Now when I dial in, the modem will first ask for a user ID and expects the
pin-code and the six digit number from the card as password.

Once logged in by the modem I'm on the sitewide network and can then login
into to one of the Foxboro computers.

I rekcon that's pretty secure but it's not very cheap. The ID cards are I
think NZ$400 and will go blank after a few years which forces us to buy new
cards.

Cheers,
Frits.